Saturday, November 8, 2014

Lucca Comics and Games Festival

Way back when we were searching for a city to make our home, I remember noticing in my research of Lucca a location on Google Maps called "Lucca Comics and Games". At the time, I didn't pay it much mind other than thinking that it would be nice that there would be a comic store nearby so I could hopefully get a bit of my geek fix while far away.

Flashforward to our site-inspection tour of Lucca back in July. When we visited, I again noticed the location on the map for "Lucca Comics and Games". Of course I decided that while we checking out the town, I should see what they had to offer for this Big Bang Theory fan. Hopes raised, we went to the spot on the map and found a comics museum. Ok, not bad. With visions of Batman histories and Dungeons & Dragons memorabilia in mind, we paid a few Euro to go in...and were let down severely. It was a rather bizarre mix of a poorly laid out museum to Italian comic strips and World War I museum. Seriously strange.

After that visit, I had kind of checked off "Lucca Comics and Games" as a loss and didn't think much about it again until we moved in in August. Trying my best to find as many cool things to experience this year as possible, I started searching for everything Lucca. When I did, I managed to find a page for "Lucca Comics and Games Festival". So that was different. It looked from the website like it would be a pretty cool, legitimate comics festival. I figured it would be set up near that spot I had seen on Google Maps long ago, thus the "not quite what I expected" museum. Cool, something to look forward to.

Come the beginning of October, there were suddenly white tents being put up in the part of town where that mark was on the map. But not just there, everywhere. All over town. Literally. Every piazza in town was being filled with white tents. Outside the wall, there was a huge tent put up. Football fields big. Yes, multiple fields. As the October 18 "Exhibition" start date approached, I started to get a sense that this might be some kind of real festival and started to get excited.

October 18 arrived and I was expecting to see exhibitors showing up. I saw a few signs that listed morning and afternoon hours for exhibits (or least as best I could tell given my burgeoning Italian skills). Alas, nothing. October 19. Nothing. 20, 21, 22...nothing. My hopes began to be dashed again. However, it did say the "Festival" would start on October 30 and I noticed a lot of local businesses who had nothing to do with comics suddenly adding comic/geeky things to their store fronts, so I kept my dream alive.




On October 28 we noticed a few trucks bringing some things in to a few booths, but still nothing that looked that impressive. But surely with all those tents it would be cool, right? Well, October 29 we left town for the day and didn't see what went on.

On the morning of October 30, Ashley and I set off to one of the areas to see what was there...and that's when we realized my dreams were about to be realized. We saw this spectacular "fancy Pikachu and Arcanine" (those are Pokemon for the uninitiated).


Long story short (too late!), this is not just a local get together of a bunch of dorks. It's a huge international get together of a bunch of dorks! Found more information later that this festival is the 3rd largest of it's type in the world behind only Comic-Con and one other European festival. There were exhibitions from all the major film companies, many video game makers and vendors, tons of tabletop game booths, and of course comics from all over the world. Being that it was an Italian festival, there was a lean toward Italian and European artists and comics, but still amazing. Lots of the top tier properties were represented by official exhibits: Star Wars, Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, and Ghostbusters to name a few. 







Particularly cool as well was the Assassin's Creed area. They didn't just have a booth. They took over a really cool looking old building here in town that looks like it could be directly out of the game and had up art and demos from the forthcoming game. No good way to describe how cool it was in person. The pictures below don't do it justice. Trust me, awesome.






Of course along with any convention of this type comes the cosplayers! For those who are not into the geek world quite enough to what cosplaying is, it is a subset of fanboys/girls who enjoy dressing up and often playing the part of their favorite characters from movies, games, books, tv shows, general geek culture. Lucca's festival did not disappoint. Every 10th person was dressed in something with quality ranging from a Superman T-shirt under a suit to be Clark Kent to costumes that look better than the characters look in their original media! Here's a handful to get the idea.








Of course there were many booths with all of the geek swag you could want. Games and comics of course, but also action figures, stuffies, books, clothes (everyday and cosplay), vintage toys, "young person" drinks and foods, and even some very fancy toilet paper.






So you've pretty much gotten a decent idea of what the festival was like now minus one thing. The crowd. On a normal day in the summer, the busy days were pretty busy. You walk through town and pass people constantly, occasionally have to maneuver around a large group. The festival had crowds like I could not image. I literally could not go anywhere several times. Complete body-to-body gridlock. For four days, Stacey pretty much didn't leave the house. Not in protest to my geekiness or anything, but because you couldn't get anywhere. Had I not been a resident and tried to come here some afternoon to check it out, I wouldn't have really gotten to see anything just because it's spread all over town and the congestion is such that it's impossible to move at more than a snail's pace. Check it out:








Look again carefully at that last picture again. Notice in the distance a car? Yeah. It's trying to drive through the crowd. That was super. Oh, and the third picture down shows a bit of the inside of the aforementioned huge tent outside the wall. Told you. Huge. And packed.

There you have it. A taste. I could go on about my experience at the various places. How the Star Wars booth was a total waste (no first glimpse of The Force Awakens! Boo!). How Ashley is a blossoming little geekette and chased me around most of the time (Arya went out one day of the 4, I'm still working on her).  And probably some other amusing anecdotes, but I think that will do.

Oh, one more thing. As if people didn't have an excuse to dress up enough, the second day of the festival was Halloween. We had understood that it was not really a big deal here like it is in the US. That turns out to be pretty accurate. Other than a few kids I saw running around town and a random group of girls who live in our apartment building who stopped by to try to trick-or-treat (sadly, I wasn't prepared with candy!), there was not much going on. However, since there were festival people around dressed up and it just seemed we should, the girls made some makeshift costumes and we went out and wandered town a bit that night. For having nothing around, I think they turned out alright! Best cosplayers of the week says Dad. :-)







3 comments:

Unknown said...

Elizabeth would have loved it. She has turned into quite the fangirl of Dr.Who. I love the blogs. You're all doing a great job, I enjoy reading them all.

Stacey said...

Thanks Julie! I was just telling Dave last night how weird it is to have someone reading what I write. Putting your thoughts out there is hard! Thanks for following along on the journey :-)

Jonathan Entous said...

I'm jealous.