Thursday, February 5, 2015

Northern Italy and Switzerland: Skiing in Zermatt

(Dad note: there are several videos in this post. They seem to only like to play on computers so if you're on a mobile device, including tablets, they may not playback right.)

Zermatt is my favorite place! It was a great place to learn how to ski. We started off by renting skis at Bayard Sport and then confirmed our lessons that we would be taking all week.




For dinner the first night we had a delicious meal at The Bubble, a yummy burger place.  The next day we woke up bright and early, ready for our ski lesson. We all laughed because of our overalls that we had to wear under our ski jackets. Aren't we stylish?



Then we left to meet up with our teacher for our lesson. It was particularly hard to get to our meeting spot at the Sunnega funicular because we had to walk across town in our ski boots, carrying all our gear: poles, skis, helmets, and goggles. When we got there our instructor with the Summit Ski School, Victoria, was waiting for us at the entrance. We took the funicular up and we were greeted by the view of the Matterhorn. In this video you will see the horribleness of my first time ever skiing. In the video you will also see my first fall!



We had lunch at the cafe at the top of Sunnega, but all the tables were taken inside, so we ended up outside in the snow. Cloudy, but not a bad view.




We were tired after our first day and slept really well!



The next morning, we did the same thing as before. Got ready, got on our ridiculous suspenders, and headed out the door. That day we started on the bigger hill in the learning area. It was hard the first time. Very very hard. I ended up going really fast straight down the hill. Not a pretty sight. But after about seven tries, I did my first time standing up, not falling. The video is of my seventh try, not my first. And here is Arya who was helped by Victoria almost the whole day.



That night we played in the snow in front of our apartment. It was very, very soft. We made snow angels and snow slides. We tried to make a snowman, but the snow was so powdery that it didn't hold together.





Later that night when Mom and Dad had just put us to bed, I lay there wiggling my tooth which had been loose the entire trip, and it came out! I already had a plan if that happened in bed. What I did was I crawled over to Arya's bunk bead and whispered, "I lost my tooth, be quiet, don't say anything." Then I tiptoed out my bedroom door and said calmly, "Mom... Dad..." they looked at me disgruntled because I was out of bed. Then I started jumping up and down and yelling, "I LOST MY TOOTH, I LOST MY TOOTH!" The next morning the tooth fairy left me five swiss franks.

On the third day, once again we got ready to go and headed out. Today, Mom and Dad headed out on the big run while we stayed at the Wolli park learning area with Victoria. Later that day, Arya, Victoria, and I did the big run once, and then a smaller blue run that was a lot of fun. The video is of us coming down the big hill for the first time. This is only a very small part of the run, just the ending.



We also did some exploring around town and shopping. With my five francs, I got a very small white teddy bear with a white dress that had a little red heart on it. Because of that heart, I named her Little Heart.

We saw many things around town. Lot of cowbells, swiss mountain dog stuffies, and mugs for beer. We even saw a movie in German!!! We saw Annie in a very cool movie theater with four chandeliers. When the movie was about to start all the chandeliers moved out of the way in a pulley system or something. We also stopped at a fun park that had a mini-zipline!








Our last dinner in Zermatt we had some Swiss fondue. The owner of the restaurant was walking around giving people free postcards with the picture of the restaurant in 1600. It is titled, The Best Cheesehouse in Town. He also showed us how to eat our fondue correctly. We kinda followed his instructions, but we also did it our own way. He was a nice, cheerful, old man that seemed to take a lot of pride in his restaurant.

By the end of the week we had gotten quite good and went down the big runs many times, even without Victoria. We were sad to go because we thought our skiing was over. But we did not know the surprises to come.









No comments: