Thursday, June 4, 2015

Outstanding Amsterdam

After the crazy train adventure that day, we got into Amsterdam safe and sound. The way to our apartment was absolutely gorgeous. There were lots and lots of pretty rivers with all sorts of boats on them. For example, house boats, garbage boats, tour boats, and little row boats too.




On this trip we decided to rent bikes because there are more bikes in Amsterdam than cars! We rented our bikes at MacBike. I did not really like these bikes because they were hard to lock up and the seat was too hard for my taste. There are just about as many bike lanes as there are streets for cars!



One of my favorite places we visited was the kids science museum called NEMO.


It had mostly interactive experiments which I loved! One of my favorites was a little water area where you make a dam with metal bricks and bean bags to get the water to go a certain way.


Another was a ball place where you look at a computer and it tells you a type of ball to find, like a big yellow ball or a heavy blue ball. Then you put the ball in a tube and the computer tells you if you are right.


There is one more thing I want to tell you about. Up stairs there was a lab where you did experiments.



My favorite experiment was seeing what color red cabbage would turn if you added apple. The answer is pink because an apple has acid in it. 


Over all I loved the NEMO museum!

My other favorite place was a really big park, not like a playground park but a park. Probably one of the biggest I have been to all year. In that park there was a play park it was very cool. It was two playgrounds connected by a bridge that went in the tree tops. While we were there, we got hot dogs for dinner.



One of the stops Arya was most excited for was Anne Frank’s house. (Dad note: Arya read a biography, not the autobiography, but one more for kids her age, earlier this year and has been looking forward to getting to see the actual place where Anne had to hide. That might help why an 8 year-old was "excited" to visit a rather somber, yet interesting location)


To get in there was a long line. It took us one and a half hours! When we finally got to the front, we went inside and discovered that the space they lived in was a little bigger than I expected and the stairs are really steep. 

One of our shorter stops was a old windmill. I enjoyed seeing the windmill even though we were only there for 2 minutes.



A random thing we found on this trip is an orange juice squeezer. It has a big bucket of oranges on top, then the oranges fall into the squeezer, then the juice is separated from the pulp and the seeds, and out the juice comes into your cup!



We also got a pass to go to the Van Gogh museum but we had a certain time that we had to go in. So we passed our time by seeing outside art. We saw a bunch of bunny statues and an iAmsterdam sign that Arya and I climbed on.










In the museum we saw a bunch of art, for example the sunflower painting.



Arya and I had kids’ guides to help us that were like painting scavenger hunts where it would show a bit of the painting and you had to find it. Then when you found it, it asked you questions about it to be sure you found the right one, like “What’s on the windmill in this painting?” Then you would get to play games on the device relating to each painting. It was one of my favorite kids’ guides.


I really enjoyed going to Amsterdam and I hope I get to go again some time in my life.

No comments: